Monday, August 27, 2007

Late night on the computer

I go to Austin tomorrow for my hearing with the Board of Nursing. I'm up late tonight printing out my speech and printing all the letters I've received from friends and clients. The letters are overwhelming. I feel like I'm at my funeral and hearing what people are saying about me. But it's even better, because I'm not dead. I'm about as alive as I've ever been.
Reading all these letters has given me a lot of strength to stand up for myself and my profession of midwifery. It means a lot to a lot of people. I'm still a little scared, mainly because of all the bad stories I've heard from other nurses who have had to go before the Board. I guess it's like a woman having her first baby who has heard a lot of scary stories. My midwife friend, Pat, is going with me. My husband is also going. He should have been a lawyer. He can twist anything around to his advantage. I know they will help me through it.
We had a new baby at the birth center yesterday. It reminded me of why I do this. It was a woman who had her first baby and about 14 hours of labor. She never gave up. Had the cutest 8 lb. baby girl, the first grandbaby on both sides. Her mother was so worried about her and her husband was so proud of her. It was so wonderful when the baby finally came out and we all knew we didn't have to worry about going to the hospital. I think she would have been cut for sure there.
Well, I'll close and see what tomorrow holds. Jackie

No comments: