Saturday, December 25, 2010
Three of my five boys were here. One that is a Senior in High School, and two of my sons that live in Oregon were home for the holidays. They had to fly home today. The house seems empty after they left this afternoon. I have another son who is on a mission for our church. He was not able to come home for Christmas because we want him to concentrate on his mission and not traveling, but we got to talk to him for about 45 minutes early this morning. That was wonderful. We put him on speaker phone and we all sat around the table talking. We all miss him a lot, but are glad he is where he is.
For Christmas, I got a necklace and earrings, a book about the Civil War, and a book about Wildflowers. I gave my husband a world map that has pins to mark all the places he's traveled to on business. It's amazing to see all the places he's been. The best part of Christmas was being home with my family. Last Christmas, I was in Amarillo with my mom who was dying.
This evening, I have been updating the blog with all the babies that have been born in the last month or two. It makes me happy to remember all the families I've worked with this year.
Several babies are due most anytime. I was secretly kind of hoping to deliver a Christmas baby, but I'm sure it won't be long. I hope to write again soon reporting their births. Jackie
Monday, August 23, 2010
Anson started 12th grade today! He's the youngest of my five sons and the only one still living at home. I can't believe it. We've had a child starting school every year for 30 years, but this is the last year. He is looking forward to a good year. Seems to have a pretty good attitude after the first day. We live two blocks from his brand new high school. I wish I'd had a brand new high school to go to. I hope it will be a good year for him.
Friday, May 28, 2010
This was a very busy day. I was up all night at the Birth Center and later helping with a home birth in the Heights for a baby born at 6:44 this morning. This is the first time I've ever delivered a baby on my own birthday! See the other blog for the birth stories of these two precious baby boys. After I was finished in the Heights, I went back to the office about 1 pm to see some of the people whose appointments I had to cancel this morning. I left the office to go home about 4pm. By then, I was pretty tired and went home to bed for awhile.
After I got up, George gave me a beautiful present of a green antique pitcher and tumbler set. I am going to make some lemonade in it tomorrow. My sons, Travis and Anson, and Travis' wife, Brenda, and George, and I went downtown to the Dessert Gallery for a birthday cake. I had a toffee cake. The weather was very hot and humid today and we had a thunder storm with some good lightening this evening. I love summer rain. It seems like summer now. When I was a kid, I always loved my birthday because I would get out of school. Now I am just happy to be alive and I am looking forward to a good year. I hope I get to sleep all night tonight.
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Monday, March 15, 2010
It was a beautiful spring day in Houston today. Several people said, "Have a good day, or Isn't it a beautiful day?" It wasn't a good day for me. I felt sad about how things went all day long. I've felt like it's all just too much.
But tonight, I started feeling better. I got an e-mail from someone who I helped with a birth a little over a year ago. I talked to someone who was sick with a breast infection and helped her get the right medicine to help her get well. I talked to someone with questions about pin worms and I took a nap with my cat. I am starting to get my self confidence back even though the nurses at the hospital have no use for me. I am first a wife and mother and sister and friend and I am a good midwife. I'll be ok. I need some sleep. Jackie
Sunday, January 31, 2010
We had a great memorial service and funeral for her. My brother and I spoke at the funeral because mama didn't have a church or pastor. It turned out to be very intimate and personal and I'm glad we did it that way. She was buried next to her mom and dad and husband at an old cemetery in Claude, Texas.
I feel very blessed and loved by all the calls, e-mails, and cards my friends have sent. I am lucky to have so many people who care about me and that I care about as well. That would make mama happy.
Dear Friends, January 2010
Another year gone by and a new one to start over with! I’ve loved hearing from so many family and friends this Christmas season. And especially pictures of all the kids and families are such a treat. Thanks for taking the time to send your greetings.
I want to wish all of you Happy New 2010. I hope it will be a good year for us all. Here’s a few of the highlights of our family in 2009.
· Bonham graduated from high school! He was surprised we made such a big deal about it. He said he thought he had to.
· Took a summer vacation to
· Anson and I went to see a Bruce Springsteen concert in April. I had to twist his arm to go, but he admitted it was a great concert. I loved it.
· In September, Luke, Abbey, Travis, and Brenda came home from
· Luke left in early December to work at Snowbird Ski Resort in
· Had a Griggs family reunion at our house in March. Had a great turn out. First Griggs reunion in 25 years!
· I got to go to a great midwife conference in
· We took in a little stray sheltie dog and named him PupPup. He died from heart worms in November. We are still sad about it.
· George went hunting and got a mule deer. Come see us and we’ll give you a package of meat.
· Jackie helped with 86 babies- 46 girls and 40 boys. The birth center is doing well. I still love what I do and it keeps me very busy!
· Travis and Brenda are living in the little house behind our house. It is wonderful to have them so close.
· We got to go to several movies, concerts, talks, home tours, Astros games, and a canoe trip this year. Bonham and I went for a weekend in
· Anson got his drivers license and took over Travis’ old red El Camino.
· Planted 8 fruit trees on our property. A tough year for little trees to start out. No rain and temp above 100 for most of June.
· George stayed home most of 2009. Only a few trips to a job in
· I stuck with my goal for 2009 and went to the library at least once a month. I read a lot of books this year-mostly about the Holocaust.
· Anson is doing great in 11th grade at a brand new just built high school. He was born to be a teenager and doing a good job at it.
· Bonham is going on a mission for our church to
This year is starting out sadly for me. I just got back from
As you can see, the boys are growing up and we are growing older. We are so proud of each one of them. We have a lot to be thankful for. We hope to see you all this year.
Jackie and the boys
PS. Here’s my blog sites: www.lifeofamidwife.blogspot.com, www.bayareabirths.blogspot.com